23 road trip conversation starters
Are we there yet?
It’s summer road trip season – that means many hours in the minivan with your kids.
If you are tired of a school year full of one-word answers, now's the time to challenge yourself to get your kids talking! Road trips are an ideal time to make memories, start traditions, and connect.
And this is important - talking to your kids helps them feel safe and loved.
The best part - road trip companions are a captive audience!
You may have a box of games, a tablet loaded with movies and a road trip playlist. (You can never be too prepared!)
Add these questions to your road trip toolbox!
1. What is one thing you really like about everyone in the car?
2. Tell me one thing you'd like to learn to do?
3. Where would you go on your dream vacation? What would you do on your trip?
4. If you could have any animal as a pet, what would you choose and why?
5. When has someone made you feel really special? What did they do to make you feel that way?
6. What are three things you are thankful for?
7. If you could invite someone from a book to dinner, who would it be?
8. What are three qualities you look for in a friend?
9. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
10. When did something really embarrassing happen to you?
11. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
12. What is your favorite quality about yourself?
13. What would you do on the perfect day?
14. How would you like other people to describe you?
15. Where would you go if you could fly?
16. If you could be a character in a book, who would you be?
17. When you grow up, what will your house look like? Where will it be and what will it look like?
18. If you won $1,000, what would you do with it?
19. If you could start a country, what would the name of the country be? How would it be different from our country? What would the flag look like?
20. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
21. What are you most scared of? Why?
22. What do you do when you are really angry?
23. What's the best dream you've ever had?
Road trips can be a wonderful highlight of summer - spending quality time with the ones you love. Make your journey extra special by starting meaningful conversations.